About Our Specimens / Care of Specimens / Frames
- All our framed items - beetles, butterflies, dragonfly, spiders, scorpions, stick insects, cicada, bats and other insects are REAL.
- We strive to supply Ex pupae and A1 specimens only. A2 specimens are listed in the ' specials ' section of our website
- Framed insects etc. are a natural product and as such small imperfections may occur.
- All the framed insects are permanently mounted to the backboard and cannot be removed without causing damage to the specimen.
- b&b™ framed mounted specimens are professionally done in house by our skilled artisans who have had over 20 years to perfect their skill. We make and assemble our own bespoke shadowbox frames and carefully prepare and mount each specimen. As such you can be reassured that the quality of mounting is first class. We do not ever mount on cheap cotton backing (i.e. Riker mounts).
- As company policy, b&b™ does not trade in endangered, rare or otherwise protected wildlife.We source some of our supplies of common, abundant species from Government regulated ranching cooperatives in many countries. Some countries require strict permits for export to regulate and control populations. Your purchase actually aids environmental conservation rather than detracting from it by encouraging the indigenous caretakers to maintain host plant areas and all taxes on permitted insects go toward government regulatory control. Breeders (often called farmers) can be single people or families operating a 'cottage industry' to produce pupae. Small breeders are sometimes organised in cooperatives. At the other extreme, large butterfly farms can have many employees. We cannot assess the number of breeders, but many hundreds are involved, notably in tropical countries (including Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Suriname, Philippines, Tanzania, and Thailand). Dickinson (2004) reported that 250 farmers were contributing to the Amani Butterfly Project (Morgan-Brown 2007). Being engaged in such a process can have social, economic, and environmental benefits: "Butterfly farming allows the local community to diversify their income generating activities and to work at home around childcare and domestic duties. It also raises awareness among residents and decision makers of the benefits of conservation." (Zanzibar Butterfly Centre ) 2011. It is the destruction of habitat by human intervention that is the principal factor in the extinction of any insect not the collection of insects for educative or commercial purposes. Some are bred some are wild caught. All have permits from respective countries.
- This is a sustainable practice industry - whereby breeding and collection is done without harming the environment and in turn safeguards environmental destruction of habitat. Most are bred for purpose that’s why they don’t have tattered wings whilst some are wild caught on strict country regulatory permits. They are all common abundant species. Any company/website that says their stock died of natural causes is being deceitful otherwise their framed items wouldn’t be perfect specimens . I have personally visited many of our insect suppliers and their families . It is true the business supports local communities. Rather better for the environment that they look after the habitat which provides them with a living then cut forests down for crops . Bits & Bugs imports is strictly governed by the Wildlife Trade Regulatory Authority. Import regulations are managed by The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment.
- Furthermore, our black frames are not made from real wood. Ethical concerns over deforestation in many third world countries has led us to pioneer the use of timber substitute framing.The use of recycled cardboard in our carry boxes also makes our product the complete eco friendly gift.
- All butterflies, other insects and arachnids found in b&b™ are REAL! We do not alter, enhance or otherwise modify their natural colour. Website images are as close as possible to true likeness. Some sizings of insect etc. in frame maybe approximate.
- If you are interested in preserving any bug you may find click on this link http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/preserving.html
- EMPTY FRAMES are available to purchase separately if your frame has incurred damage eg. falling off wall. Only hang frames by hook provided. We will not be responsible for damaged frames if found they have been hung by alternative methods. All frames have glass fronts with a hook ready to hang.
Care of your framed insects
- All frames are fumigated and are professionally prepared. As this is a natural product book lice may occur in your frame. Book lice are present in most environments, do not carry disease and are best dealt with by following the instructions below.
- These tiny insects may be detected by black dust underneath the bug. ( Please note not all black dust is from mites - some dust may occur from material that has shed off the body during transport ). If you see tiny mites running around within the frame immediately place frame inside a plastic bag and put into freezer for a minimum of 72 hours then left out for a period of 7 days then repeat the freezing for 72 hours ( this will then kill any remaining eggs ). If you have a collection constant monitoring is highly recommended to avoid these tiny insects attacking your specimen. Keep framed specimens out of direct sunlight and keep in low humid areas. This will prevent mould and help prevent book lice.
- Mould growing on your specimen. This may occur during high humid / rainy conditions where low air flow, humidity and sunlight combined may cause condensation which may cause mould. This may occur on one or all of your specimens.
What to do.
Open back up ( leave hook side on ) carefully brush the mould off with small brush ( eg. makeup brush ) and leave out for 24 hours in a nice dry spot. Watch for ants.
Clean glass whilst open – just in case any mould spores there. Also if you see any mould spores on the backboard gently brush away.
Then tape back up with craft tape.
- Correct care for your framed insect specimen will ensure many years of enjoyment. Do not leave unattended in box / on wall for long periods of time without monitoring. We are unable to replace / refund due to lack of correct care methods described above.
All our online images and text is unique to Bits & Bugs. All images are done in house. Unauthorised use of our online images or text is not permitted. Please contact us if you are wanting to use any image or text you see on our website.
Sold Out Items / Specials
- We carry a large range of items in our warehouse and update our inventory daily. However due to high demands at various times we are unable to have a real time inventory and as such some items ordered may have sold out. We will notify you and offer various alternatives. If no alternatives suit we are happy to refund.
- We offer a cheaper range of framed insects that have come to us that are imperfect i.e. not A1 hence they are at a vastly reduced value price than the other A1 specimens offered in the general catalogue.
- These may have marks on the backboard or imperfections on the insect or the frame itself maybe A2.
- We endeavour to show the image of the actual item with full description of imperfection. Some items may vary slightly in the imperfection than that shown on the image.
- These are all on sale and no retrurns are accepted unless the item breaks in transit or is vastly different that the item shown in description.
- Some items may have residual dust within the frame upon delivery due to the shedding from the insect itself . This is easily fixed by opening up the back of the frame, dusting out and resealing. A 5 minute job.
- By purchasing the A2 items you accept the conditions above.
- We have an extensive range of framed mounted insects from spiders to butterflies, bats to grasshoppers. So you can’t choose between a butterfly or bug for that special gift? Don't know what the recipient already has ? Adding to someones collection ? Xmas, birthday, anniversary, valentines day, bon voyage gift -- a Bits & Bugs E-Gift Card is a quick, easy way to turn someone's day into a special day. You choose the amount and message. They'll receive your personalised email within 24 hours - redeemable for whatever they desire online at www.bitsandbugs.com
- Choose the amount ( CHECK THE RECIPIENTS EMAIL IS CORRECT )
- Choose the type of E-Gift card eg. Happy Birthday
- Add your personal gift message
- Your recipient receives an email within 24 hours
- No expiry date
- The E-Gift card can be used as many times and for as many purchases of framed insects as the cardholder chooses until the total balance of the card has been used up
- Not redeemable for cash
- To send your E-Gift card today, place your order before 5.00 p.m. EST. Orders after 5.00 p.m. will be processed the following day ( except public holidays )
- E-Gift cards can be used globally. Please allow 24 hours to process.
- Click Gift Certificate now to start the process.
- We accept Visa card and Mastercard credit cards only.
- Layby welcome. Contact us to arrange.
- Money orders and EFT are accepted with prior arrangement with head office. Contact us to arrange.
- We are happy to take your order by phone - call us 0418158586
- All prices are $ AUD Australian dollars.
- b&b™ do not store your credit card details. We use ANZ eGate which provides a complete payment gateway service allowing secure credit card processing via the Internet.
- Our website is protected through a secure server. To confirm that your connection is secure, look for a locked padlock icon or the letters "https" in the address bar of your web browser. Our e-commerce system is secured by industry standard 128bit SSL Security. An SSL certificate allows Bits and Bugs to offer a secure, encrypted checkout experience for all customers purchasing through our online store. Any personal and payment details will be encrypted before they are sent to our site, giving you the confidence you need to purchase through our online store.
WE SHIP *** FREE *** AUSTRALIA WIDE on orders $100 and over.
By buying online you accept the conditions listed below.
- Postage other than Express post within Australia for framed insects etc. on orders over $100 is FREE
- We normally dispatch Tuesday and Fridays ( except public holidays )
- If you need your item in a hurry please use the express service and put in Comments Box the date you require the item. Please note we endeavor to dispatch within 2-3 days from order date - overnight delivery is not available.We use Australia Post for our express deliveries - delivery is in accordance with Australia Post guidelines and as such we will not be liable for late/lost delivery.
- Dispatch from our Australian warehouse is usually within 3 working days from placement of order. Depending on your location delivery is usually within 7-10 working days of dispatch of order. Please make exception for public holidays and out of metro/rural destinations.
- PLEASE NOTE SOME DELIVERIES CAN BE DELAYED DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGES DUE TO COVID
- Domestic carriers are Aramex Couriers http://www.aramex.com.au or Australia Post www.auspost.com.au/track
- Please only provide a street address as Fastway Couriers do not deliver to P.O. Boxes or Parcel Lockers.
- If you live in a remote area we will dispatch via Australia Post (if applicable) Australia Post will be responsible for delivery. Delivery may take up to 15 working days. If no comment regarding leave without signature is received online at time of ordering- Australia Post will deliver to your nearest post office for you to collect. They will not leave the item without a signature.
- When your product has been dispatched you will receive an email notification. Log in to your account which will then contain courier details and online tracking ID. b&b™ has no control over your parcel once it has left our warehouse.
- Please ensure you are available to take receipt and sign for parcel. If not present the courier will leave a calling card for you to follow up and organise delivery time or pick up location. It is the duty of the recipient to track parcel online and follow up with courier company. Recipient is liable for return post if item is undeliverable.
- ARAMEX - we use Standard delivery service unless otherwise noted on order.
With this value-added service, the couriers will obtain a signature COVID Safe from the receiver when possible to do so. If you the customer are unavailable they will leave the parcel in a safe place at the delivery address if possible. If there’s no safe place, the parcel will be redirected to the nearest Parcel Connect agent.
- If an authority to leave is requested then parcel is not insured against theft or breakage and no claim can be made against bits'nbugs for loss.
- Wholesale shipping rates apply. View T&C in wholesale section.
- PLEASE NOTE DELIVERY SCHEDULES ARE LATER THAN NORMAL DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGES DUE TO COVID19. PLEASE GO TO THE OFFICIAL ARAMEX COURIERS OR AUSTRALIA POST WEBSITES FOR UPDATES. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OF PACKAGES ONCE THEY ARE WITH THE COURIERS.
WE SHIP GLOBALLY
- We are shipping to most countries during COVID19 however delivery times are in accordance with Australia Post guidelines. Some shipping times are longer than usual. b&b™ has no control over shipping times.
- Shipping costs are $25 base shipping cost + $10 per kg per item automatically calculated at checkout. eg. One item = $35. Two items = $45
- International parcels are sent standard Express Australia post unless otherwise advised www.austpost.com.au/track Some countries not applicable, we will then send surface mail. Once dispatched you will be notified by email and sent a tracking number and postal provider tracking address so you can track your parcel online. If you do not track your parcel you may miss delivery.
- Delivery to countries from our Australian warehouse normally takes between 10-14 working days some maybe 30 days. Any customs duties that maybe applicable are payable by buyer.
- We do not reimburse for lost items. b&b™ has no control over your parcel once it has left our warehouse.
- All our invoices state the exact species names for customs purposes. As we do not ship any CITES specimens internationally no permits are required. Wholesale customers please read separate T&C.
- We pack our items very carefully however breakages sometimes occur during delivery.
- Head office must be notified of damage within 24 hours of receipt by courier. Only Head Office can authorise returns.
- We will require an image emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or text it to 0418158586. We will then email you a confirmation email advising as to whether the item will be required to be returned for replacement or credited. This is at our discretion. If we are out of stock of the item we will credit your account or you may wish to choose another item.
- Items to be returned will be picked up by our courier and we will organise this with you. If our courier is unable to pick up in your area we will liaise with you to return the package to our P.O. address ( postage will be refunded in this case ).
- Items being returned must be well packed to avoid further damage, be in their original box and posted within 5 days of receipt.
- We are unable to accept returns for the following:-
1.Change of mind. As a natural product some imperfections variances may be present to that of the image shown online.
Please note colours on website are as close to the actual colourings of the insect as is possbile to reproduce online.
2.Returned items shipped after 5 days of receipt ( unless approved by head office )
3.Items are returned without Head Office approval.
4.Items arrive in a distressed condition ( i.e. not as per emailed image ) due to inadequate packaging.
5. Specials. These are Final Sale Items and no returns will be accepted.
6. Refunds may attract a restocking fee of $15.
b&b™ aim for 100% customer satisfaction and we will do our best to provide excellent customer service.